Sunday, July 19, 2009

Jeepney

Traveling to the small city of Bontoc in the back of a jeepney proved to be a rough ride. The mountain roads remain unpaved and very rocky. Combine that with the altitude, sideways movement, and hard benches and you have a recipe for disaster. With each passing moment I got closer to losing my breakfast. There were about 16 people there with me on the benches who looked fairly carefree. I, on the other hand, looked franticly for a place to discreetly toss my cookies. I took a couple of motion sickness pills, but it was too late. I tried to sleep, but it didn’t work. So there I remained in a miserable state of dizziness for the whole one and a half hour trip. I thank God that I did not throw up there in front of all of those strangers. We arrived at the offices of the Bishop and I looked at my traveling companion with a pale face. She laughed and said, “first time in a jeepney, huh?”-Melanie West Goes… Jeepney

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I remember coming back from Africa swearing to NEVER complain about Missouri roads anymore...it can get pretty intense out there! I miss you bad. -BP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you made it safe and sound. Know that I am praying for you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been right there with you!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you didn't toss your cookies... haha!

    ReplyDelete