Thursday, July 30, 2009

House

Here it is! The place where I lay my head at night. I live on the property of a woman named Cresencia Dongalen. I call her Auntie or Lola which means grandmother. She is a 67 year old widow and retired school teacher. We have really been enjoying each other's company. I live in a barangay (neighborhood)called Kin-iway. It is about 97% Episcopalian! Everyone here is very nice.They have been teaching me the language (Igorot). They do not speak Pilipino (Tagalog) here in the mountains. As you can see, I wash all of my dishes and clothing outside by hand, and I shower from a bucket. I am getting better at it. All of the exterior walls of my house and all of the floors are made of concrete,and everything else is made of wood. Besao is a peaceful place filled with wonderful people. It is starting to feel more like home.





This sink is where I do my dishes and laundry.




Okay so it's not MTV cribs material, but I like it. Hope you enjoyed the tour.

-Melanie West Goes... House

No comments:

Post a Comment